Create Your Homeschool is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and gets to be an affiliate for other amazing companies we know you’ll love! This means we earn a commission from qualifying purchases when you shop through our affiliate links! It’s a simple way for you to support this blog, without paying anything extra, so that we can continue to share valuable resources here with you! Affiliate links from Amazon or other programs are used on this website and may be present in this blog post.
For more information, please refer to our disclosure statement.
Here are 25 quotes about homeschooling. But before we dive in, I think it’s important to share my thoughts on finding quotes for your homeschool.
Every now and then, we need a little motivation in the homeschool department. As a mama, the worst feeling in the world is not feeling like you’re doing well enough or being good enough for your kids. When you add the weight of their education onto your shoulders, that feeling is (in my opinion) quadrupled.
I read a book in our second year of homeschooling that completely rocked my world.
The Call of the Wild + Free is one of the books I will forever remember and share with others throughout our homeschooling journey. I have a note FULL of photos and quotes about homeschooling from this book, that I love to go back and read from time to time.
One thing Ansley wrote in the book is the perfect “bonus” quote for this blog post, and it’s one I come back to often.
If all else fails, you still know how to be a parent. You still know how to read books to your children and spend time with them and share the wisdom of your years.Ansley Arment, The Call of the Wild + Free
This book has shaped the way I look at our homeschool. We are far from “school at home”… Rather, we are learning to love to learn. We’re building an education on support, experience, and love. Everything we soak up can never be taken from us, so we’re soaking up some of the most meaningful things in life – Kindness, genuine curiosity, and Jesus!
These quotes about homeschooling do not have to define you and they are certainly not here to make you feel less-than or as if you’re not “doing homeschool” correctly. Rather, allow these quotes about homeschooling to motivate you to be your best, to show up for your kids, to love without ceasing, and to learn together through life.
And if you haven’t already… Grab The Call of the Wild + Free. You can read it on a weekend. It will be a great addition to your homeschooling philosophy.
1. Let children have tales of the imagination, scenes laid in other lands and other times; heroic adventures, hairbreadth escapes, delicious fairy tales, even where it is all impossible, and they know it, and yet they believe. -Charlotte Mason
2. What matters is not what we teach; it’s what they learn, and the probability of real learning is far higher when the students have a lot to say about both content and the process. -Alfie Kohn
3. All the world is my school. -George Whitman
4. It’s not that I feel that school is a good idea gone wrong, but a wrong idea from the word go. It’s a nutty notion that we can have a place where nothing but learning happens, cut off from the rest of life. -John Holt
5. I can’t imagine a man really enjoying a book and only reading it once. -CS Lewis
6. Don’t question your ability to teach your child. Question putting your child into the same system that left you feeling incapable of teaching your child. -Anon
7. You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives. -Clay P. Bedford
8. The function of true education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education. – Martin Luther King Jr.
9. The more slowly trees grow at first, the sounder they are at the core. And I think the same is true of human beings. -Henry David Thoreau
10. Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all. -Aristotle
11. If a child can’t learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn. – Ignacio Estrada
12. The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. -BB King
13. I think it’s necessary to let kids get bored once in a while, that’s how they learn to be creative. -Kim Raver
14. Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. -Benjamin Franklin
15. If the purpose of learning is to score well on a test, we’ve lost sight of the real reason for learning. – Jeannie Fulbright
16. Anything, everything, can be learned if you can just get yourself in a little patch of real ground, real nature, real wood, real anything… and just sit still and watch. -Lauren Hutton
17. Education must not simply teach work – it must teach life. -Du Bois
18. Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune. – Jim Rohn
19. Curiosity about life in all of its aspects, I think, is still the secret of great creative people. – Leo Burnett
20. When we feel like we aren’t being force-fed an education… that’s when real, passionate, fiery learning takes place. -Jessica Pilton
21. When the atmosphere encourages learning, the learning is inevitable. -Elizabeth Foss
22. Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself. -John Dewey
23. What is more important and valuable about the home as a base for Children’s growth into the world is not that it is a better school than the schools, but that it isn’t a school at all. -John Holt
24. Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army. – Edward Everett
25. One of the luckiest things that can happen to you in life is, I think, to have a happy childhood. -Agatha Christie