Tell Me a Story by Jonathan London is a great book to encourage creative writing in children. Here is a brief teacher’s guide for using this book:
- Read the book: Begin by reading “Tell Me a Story” to your class. Encourage them to listen carefully to the story and ask questions about the characters, setting, and plot.
- Discuss the book: After reading the book, have a class discussion about the story. Ask students to share their favorite parts and why they liked them. Encourage them to think about the story’s structure and how the author used language to create a vivid image in their minds.
- Brainstorm: Ask students to brainstorm ideas for their own story. They can think about characters, settings, and plots. Encourage them to be creative and to think outside the box.
- Write the story: Once students have their ideas, they can begin writing their own stories. Encourage them to use descriptive language to create a vivid image in the reader’s mind. Remind them to use correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Share the stories: After students have finished their stories, have them share them with the class. Encourage other students to ask questions and provide feedback. This can help students learn how to revise and improve their writing.
By using Tell Me a Story as a guide, you can encourage your students to be creative and develop their writing skills.
The book, Tell Me a Story By Jonathan London, is written by the author about his life as the author of Froggy books and other children books.He goes through his daily routines, his writing work and how he develops ideas that eventually become children’s books.
Through the author’s perspective, children can be encouraged to become more creative writers. They will answer specific questions regarding the book and then take a step by step journey into creating their own character to be a part of a series of stories. Showing students his actual work in the classroom will make them see the full potential of becoming a real writer.