Do you need fun and engaging activities for practicing word families? These hands on literacy activities are the perfect solution to getting your kids to be engaged while learning AB words through reading, writing, matching and sorting!
There are a variety of activities for students to use to practice the AB word family:
- Picture Chart – This chart makes a great reference pace for teachers or students when identifying the AB words in this resource.
- Dice Games – Students will roll a die and either write, trace, color or cover the correct word. The dice include spelling AB words and a picture recognition die. These games include both single player and partner games.
- Word Wall Cards – These cards come in two designs to choose from. They are perfect to create a word wall, a reference area for a writing center, or picture cards for a sand tray. These cards can also be cut apart to create two piece puzzles or matching game.
- Sentence Matching – Students will read the sentences and then match the sentence to the correct picture. This activity not only allows students to practice reading AB words and simple sight words, it also works on reading comprehension skills.
- Word Matching Mats – Students will read the AB word then place the correct picture on top of the word. This center is in color and black and white.
- Sentence Matching Mats – Students will read sentences with AB words then place the correct picture on top of the sentence. This center is in color and black and white.
- Sorting Activities – Students will sort words and pictures for words that are in the AB family from words that are not in the AB family. This activity has a beach theme.
- Real and Nonsense Words – Students will sort words that are real from words that are nonsense. This sorting activity has a transportation theme.
These literacy centers are all low prep activities. Each one simply needs to be printed, cut out and laminated if desired. Only the dice games need additional assembly by putting the dice together. Once completed, these centers can be used over and over and will provided easy to set up and use centers for your students to master AB word family words.
- Reading AB words
- Writing and tracing AB words
- Reading sentences with simple sight words and AB words
- Reading comprehension
- Ability to recognize nonsense words